- Broad Objectives
The following are the broad objectives of VASU:-
- Providing livelihood opportunities to rural population through skill development
- Promotion of traditional arts and crafts, like handlooms in the north-east India
- Promotion of health care, with special emphasis on HIV/AIDS eradication
- Promotion of sanitation
- Education of rural population, especially in tribal areas.
- To promote activities like Agriculture, floriculture, horticulture, plantation, fishery, piggery, dairy etc for income generation among rural populace
- Working for Gender Equality
- To help old age people and provide shelter to the needy out of them
- To fight for the rights of women and children
- Work for environmental protection
Core Programs / Thematic Focus
VASU has the following core programs:-
- Training in handlooms in the north-east India.
- Training in advanced tailoring to cater to national and international markets.
- HIV/AIDS awareness programs
- Menstruation awareness, management & hygiene for rural population
- Providing quality education to rural population
- Working for LGBT community and ensure their rights and livelihood with dignity.
VASU’s focus is on the socio-economically disadvantaged groups of rural people, especially women, youth, children and LGBT community. Keeping in view the overall socio-economic and cultural fabric of the society, and the overall economic imbalances and discriminations that exist at all levels; the focus, amongst these groups, is again on most vulnerable and the marginalized ones. The focus of VASU is also on special groups such as widows, physically impaired persons and elderly people.
The geographical focus of VASU is the North-Eastern states of India, especially the Rural Areas , Tribal Areas and Tea Garden Belt.
Values & Guiding Principles
In order to achieve its mission and to make its programs even more human-centered; VASU follows certain values and guiding principles in all its interventions and dealings. These include the following:
- Peace & Tolerance
- Participation & Inclusion
- Transparency & Accountability
- Equity & Fairness
- Sharing & Openness
- Human Resources
VASU has a core team with various professional backgrounds such as Skill Development, Management, Administration, Finance etc. In addition VASU hires the project staff as and when required. VASU also engages volunteers and interns on need basis.
Approach & Strategies
VASU strongly believes in the true and active participation of all key stakeholders – particularly the local communities or program beneficiaries. Sufficient efforts are made to ensure that stakeholders participate and contribute at all the stages of the interventions. As its strategy, VASU particularly focuses to ensure the maximum participation of women, children and youth wherever required and relevant – and particularly if the program has any direct or indirect impacts on their lives.
The overall approach of work also identifies the gender sensitivities if any related to the program and strategically addresses the same.
VASU, as its overall implementation approach, takes carefully into account the local culture and traditions and fully respects the same.